Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Society's View on Single-Parent Families

Many of societal views on single-parenting families are expressed through social policies and agendas. Society views single families as broken families; this considered a threat to social order. In researching this topic, It appears that Western Countries support the wellbeing of children, regardless of the number of parents with programs such as guaranteed child-support, health insurance, childcare, maternity and parenting benefits.I feel that as a single parent, for years I had to jump through hoops to get many services that I needed at the time. I also felt like people look at me as just another woman bringing a child into the world out of wedlock.

In some Third World countries, single mothers are socially ostracized and seen as having inferior status (Kinnear 1999). Societal views on single-parenting are also expressed in public disclosure through legal and pubic policies. I feel that society tries to push the traditional mold and cast stones at the single mother. I feel that a lot of society's behaviors have to to with social age and social identity. In today's society,there needs to be more institutional support for the new type of dual-earner and single-parent prevalent.

2 comments:

soblessed said...

Your thoughts on single parent families had me thinking. We often think of those who are divorced, but I could easily fall into this category if something happened tomorrow to my husband (like me killing him if he leaves his clothes on the floor one more time-LOL). Seriously though, being a single parent is probably not what a man or woman envisioned for themselves. There is no one who can walk through the door and pick up the slack.

gradual student said...

Single parent heads of house are usually not by choice, it's true. Most of us experience singlehood at some point, but imagine the same risk factors of young adulthood combined with the stress and risk factors of being a young parent. I would love for us to get tee shirts with "I'm a protective factor!" across the front.